Empretec Women in Business Award 2014: finalists announced
The 2014 finalists are (in alphabetical order by country):
- Lorena Maria Eugenia Picasso, SOMNO Almacén Didáctico (Argentina): manufactures innovative educational games to stimulate the development of cognitive, motor, emotional and social abilities as well as therapeutic products which specialize in rehabilitation.
- Kelly Dantas de Vasconcelos, Universidad da Crianca, (Brazil): provides educational services for children, focusing on a teaching methodology which highlights innovation and technology.
- Tracy Antoinette Green Douglas, Pandama Retreat, (Guyana): produces a range of fruit wines, fruit soaps and art products using all local resources. It is a place of retreat where the local community and tourists can connect with nature.
- Lina Jalil Khalifeh, SheFighter, (Jordan): established the first self-defense studio for women and girls in the Middle East and has a mission to generate awareness and decrease violence towards women.
- Maya Sewnath, SSS Furniture, (Mauritius): manufactures tailor-made wooden furniture using local raw materials and specializes in the wedding and children's market.
- Lara Cookey, Contextplay Matrix Ltd., (Nigeria): designs educational toys and recreational tools for early child development, including learning materials, playground equipment and furniture.
- Thiane Diagne, JOUR J Couture, (Senegal): creates prêt-a-porter luxury clothing lines, which combine traditional Senegalese culture with innovative, high-quality designs.
- Renay van der Berg, ProComm, (South Africa): specializes in a range of integrated business services, including brand management, to allow enterprises to be sustainable.
- Angelica M Rumsey, Angel Bites Ltd, (Zambia): manages the packaging and trading of dried foods that are a delicacy in Zambia and focuses on high hygiene and quality standards.
- Divine Ndhlukula, SECURICO Security Services, (Zimbabwe): is a leading supplier of security solutions in Zimbabwe, including electronic security system installation, guarding, cash management and private investigation services.
The final three winners will be announced during UNCTAD's World Investment Forum which will take place from 13 to 16 October 2014 in Geneva. To mark the theme of this year's Forum – "Investing in Sustainable Development" – two additional candidates were announced, who will receive a special recognition for their work as social and green entrepreneurs, respectively:
Special Recognition, Social entrepreneurship:
Leena A. Irshaid, Renas Women Association, (Jordan): established the only pickling factory in Jordan that is founded, owned and managed by women. It mobilizes unemployed female agricultural engineers by training and hiring them.
Special Recognition, Green entrepreneurship:
Pabla Anabela Torres, BioPro, (Argentina): start-up company which researches, develops, produces and markets organic products designed for crop protection and pest control, including a bio-pesticide.
Watch the Empretec Women in Business Award 2014 Video
Last updated: 2 July 2009 15:47